Saturday, March 21, 2015

Shag Sushi

Last night we met some friends for dinner at Shag Sushi.  Finally, more adventures in the North Loop!  As soon as we walked inside, it was obvious we were in a Friday night hot spot.  The place was packed and people were dressed in the trendiest duds.  It was actually kind of a funny juxtaposition to the decor of Shag Sushi.  If "Shag" hasn't already tipped you off, this place pays homage to the 70's with purple velvet chairs, orange carpet, and psuedo disco balls hanging from the ceiling.  Beware, the crazy carpet and velvet everywhere don't quite soak up all the sound waves.  The open warehouse style building make it a little loud during a busy Friday night. 

We each ordered a different roll and shared.  Sushi is the perfect food for sharing.  Check out the snap shot below from the menu.  We ordered #1, #4, #5, and the spicy tuna.  They were all quite good!  I've been making my rounds of sushi places, and I am always impressed how each place is able to kind of surprise me and do something different.  My favorite of the rolls that we tried was the #1.  It was loaded with avocado and the sweet sauce drizzled on top was just perfection.  Shag also features Thai dishes on their menu so sushi lovers and non-sushi lovers can still enjoy dinner together at Shag. 



We also ordered drinks.  I had the shagarita (tequila, sake, lime, ginger simple syrup) which tasted good, but was really small.  It was served in a small martini glass rimmed with salt.  While I enjoyed it, it was probably was too expensive for what you actually get.  My friend ordered the mojito which lacked essential lime flavor.  I praise them for the tap list though.  My husband was able to get one of his favorite ciders - Loon Juice - on tap.






No comments:

Post a Comment