Sunday, November 2, 2014

Roasted Cauliflower

Couple thoughts.  Let's start with yum.  My husband suggested it.  He knows that suggesting new foods to me is a gamble.  I'll either hate it and we'll never have it or I'll love it, become fixated on it, make it all the time, and we'll both get sick of it (it's good that squash is seasonal).  So it turns out that I love roasted cauliflower.  The beauty of it is that a whole head of cauliflower only has about 150 calories.  Also, it doesn't really have a flavor on its own so you can flavor it with your favorite spice.  And honestly, quinoa, amaranth, and rice really don't have a flavor either.  Why not sub those out for cauliflower?

Here's how we made it:

1.  Cut the cauliflower florets off the stem.  Wash and dry.
2.  Put the cauliflower into the food processor.  It'll end up in a rice-like consistency!!
3.  Put the cauliflower rice into a bowl and add whatever spices.  We used curry, cayenne, salt, minced garlic, and coconut oil.
4.  Spread into a baking pan and broil.
5.  We ended up broiling for about 15 minutes.  I turned it frequently to make sure it was cooked and then I let it roast for a while so the top layer got a nice golden brown.

That's probably the healthiest version.  You could also add whatever sauce you wanted with meat and other veggies and create a spaghetti like situation.  You could put it into egg bake.  I like to fry up turkey sausage, peppers, tomatoes, spinach, and over easy eggs and pour it over rice and break the yolk.  Now I can use cauliflower!

Yep.  If we aren't having squash, we'll probably be having cauliflower in some form or another... Pour hubby...

No comments:

Post a Comment