Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Italian Style Exhibit at MIA

A couple weeks ago, a friend and I went to the Minnesota Institute of Art to see their Italian Style exhibit.  We are both into fashion so we jumped at the chance to see actual outfits from different eras.  The exhibit featured the work of Italian designers from post-WWII era to present day.  I was kind of mesmerized walking through the exhibits.  It's simply amazing how things come back in style after a couple decades.  It was really fun to see pieces that walked a runway or attended a fancy gala up close to appreciate the detail.  My absolute favorite was this outfit from 1966 that I would love to wear today.  The shirt  and trim of the jacket featured intricate beading and sequin detail and made the whole look really shiek.  I don't usually think of sequins as shiek; they usually are just sewed on haphazardly to shirts to give them more sparkle.  But the way these were layered made me really admire it and see sequins in a different way.  The exhibit had around 50-60 mens and womens looks spanning the decades after WWII.



I really enjoyed the exhibit and it got my creative juices flowing.  I'm incredibly lucky to know an actual designer and have been working on some custom pieces with her.  My favorite of our design collaborations was this swim suit cover up.   We are currently working on a leather jacket and "the skirt".  Check out her etsy shop featuring her awesome boho jewelry at https://www.etsy.com/shop/thefree?ref=shop_sugg. 



No comments:

Post a Comment