Monday, October 20, 2014

Brussels Sprouts part 2

Several months ago I posted about an attempted (and failed) Brussels sprouts recipe.  I basically wrote off all Brussels sprouts thinking they were just one of those hopeless foods that nobody actually likes but feels compelled to eat anyway like bananas (common, who actually likes bananas and the inevitable...banana noise...when you chew.  It's the worst).  There are a million foods I actually like, so why bother.  My sister actually taught me how to make them properly, and I finally made the leap and purchased another bag this weekend.  So I made them last night.  And they were actually quite amazing.  So recant, I must.  The new and improved recipe is as follows:

Very important improvement #1:  Cut them into quarters - they'll cook better and more surface area will be exposed to coat with olive oil.  (I just roasted them whole last time)

Very important improvement #2:  After drizzling olive oil and sprinkling salt and Italian seasoning, roast the sprouts in the oven at 350 occasionally flipping.  Once they are fully cooked, broil to brown the skins. (I think I went straight to broiling)

Very important improvement #3:  It's inevitable.  I don't try to make a habit of eating cheese, but this is one food where cheese can make a huge improvement.  I sprinkled a little shredded pepper jack cheese over the sprouts as soon as I took them out of the oven.   (No cheese)

Yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment