Monday, October 6, 2014

Twin Cities Marathon weekend



My beloved race - the Twin Cities 10 Mile.  Of all the distances available to race during marathon weekend (5K, 10K, 10 Mile, and Marathon), I much prefer the 10 mile.  I love so many things about this race - the expo, the spectators, the fall colors, running from Minneapolis to St. Paul, the distance (so much easier than a half marathon).  The last time I ran this race was two years ago.  I trained really hard for it and garnered a really impressive PR for myself - 1:12:56.  That's a pretty high bar, but I aimed to beat that record this year.

Marathon weekend kicks off with the race expo and packet pick up at the Xcel Energy Center.  We went on Friday night and I have to say, this was probably one of the best expos I've been to.  After picking up my packet, my husband and I wandered through the exhibitor hall.  Many places were giving away free samples - we got energy bars, protein bars, sports drinks, pretzels, chips, coffee, protein powder, coconut water, protein milk, chap stick...  It's always fun to get free things!

The 5K and 10K and kid races are on Saturday and the 10 mile and marathon are on Sunday morning.  Sunday morning was BRISK.  Once you start running you can easily warm up, but until you start running, you are constantly asking yourself why you do this every year...and look forward to it.  I woke up quite early and drove to Minneapolis.  I parked in a hotel's ramp so I could warm up in the lobby.  Clutch.  Then I jogged to the start line.  That's it, there's nothing more I can do to prepare but just run this race.  As the gun went off at 7:00 (before the sun came up) and we crossed the start line, I got kind of emotional.  I love running and this race so much and for the first few seconds, I was running with the elites.  My legs were on fire and I was way ahead of pace, but I couldn't slow down.  I was just so excited.  The first three miles were different than they were two years ago due to a landslide this summer.  I thought they were harder as there were more hills.  My pace was quite erratic for the first four miles as I tried to find the correct speed for the varying terrain.  I kept pushing and loved every second.  There are tons of people cheering you on the whole way, a pack of runners with you the whole way.  At about mile 7 I knew I wasn't going to hit a PR, but still wanted to finish strong and do the best I could that day.  I rejoiced at 9.5 miles as I began the decent to the capital.  That has to be the best finish line ever - running down a hill to the finish line, a huge crowd of people, and the capital in the distance.  Beautiful.  I crossed the line at 1:14:09.  Still extremely respectable.  I don't want to be one of those people who is not happy or unsatisfied with anything less than the best.  I am quite competitive with myself and love hitting a PR, but I reminded myself that I just love running period and I should be very happy with what I accomplished.

After the race you meander through the shute and get your medal, t-shirt, bagel, fruit, chips, salted nut roll, chocolate milk, water, powerade, coffee, and beer.  Then I met up with my husband and mother-in-law and watched my father-in-law cross the finish line.  He's a die hard for this race too.

Well, until next year, 10 Mile.  I'll run a sub-1:10 yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment