Sunday, October 12, 2014

Riverfront 5K race

Yesterday I ran the Riverfront 5K race which is always my last race of the year.  First of all it's beautiful - it starts at Boom Island Park in NE Minneapolis, runs along Father Hennepin park and across the Stone Arch Bridge, and makes its way back to Boom Island Park.  The Stone Arch Bridge is for sure one of my favorite spots in the city.  The second reason I like the race is because the runners have an opportunity to win a bunch of swag.  Overall finishers places 1-3 get a really nice gift card package to Mill City Running and a St. Anthony Main restaurant.  There is also a drawing for gift cards to tons of places in NE Mpls and St. Anthony Main that everybody is entered into.  Lastly, I always love when I have a reason to be in Minneapolis.  I made the most of my time by going to the Mill City Farmers Market and Angel Food bakery for cronuts (combo of a croissant and donut) before going home yesterday morning.

I ended my season with my fastest 5K time of the year.  I got 4th overall.  Most importantly, I enjoyed the race and am so very thankful that I was able to get through the season injury free.  Running is one of my strongest passions in life and I'm ultra competitive with myself.  I love running because it's another reason to be outside, it's a great way to explore new areas, it's a great way to stay fit, and depending on the workout, it can even be a little relaxing.  But, when I run the same routes and same races each year, I can't help but get competitive and keep trying to get faster and faster.  It's the achiever and intrinsically motivated traits in me.  It would have been nice to have PRed in the 5K, 10 mile, or half marathon this year because I trained so hard and certainly had the drive.  But I think it's also important to continue to just love running for what it is and not always have to see the best results.  All part of the maturing process I guess - while always striving for extraordinary, finding contentment in the ordinary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment