Thursday, October 2, 2014

Pumpkin Soup

It's a soup day...

I decided to expand my squash repertoire and was excited when a friend gave me a recipe for pumpkin soup.  It was pretty good!  Sweeter than I thought it would be and a little thinner.  If I did it again, I'd put in less chicken broth and get a slightly bigger pumpkin.  I usually go for heartier soups, but this is a fun change - it's pureed so it's smooth and creamy with nothing to chew.  Besides the taste, the best thing about this soup is the calorie content - using my rough figures, I estimate one cup to be about 75 calories.

Ingredients:
  • pie pumpkin (or 1 15oz can of pumpkin puree)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • large onion
  • 2 tbsp fresh ginger
  • small jalapeno
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp lime zest
  • 13.5 oz can light coconut milk
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • salt (I also added chili powder, nutmeg)

Steps:
1.  In a pan, warm oil over medium-low heat.  Saute onion and ginger until soft, about 8 minutes.  Do not let brown.  Add jalapeno and garlic, cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.

2.  Stir in lime zest, pumpkin, coconut milk, and broth.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Season to taste and let cool slightly.  Then puree in a blender.  Serve hot.

Tip:  I like the idea of using an actual pumpkin.  I cut it into about 3 chunks, scooped out the seeds/guts, and baked for an hour.  Then it was soft enough to spoon out and into the soup.  I suppose I could have put just the pumpkin into the food processor first before adding to soup.  


No comments:

Post a Comment