Monday, September 29, 2014

Fall in Duluth

Yesterday was probably the last hot day.  For sure it was Duluth's last hot day.  I decided to take advantage of this alignment of hot sunny weather, a weekend day, and having people to visit, and the promise of fall colors by heading up to Duluth yesterday morning.  The drive up north itself was beautiful - so many of the trees are changing color and showing off their vibrant yellows, oranges, and reds.  I was tempted to many times to pull over and walk up to the trees for pictures.

I parked at Amazing Grace cafe and got a coffee.  My brothers met me there and we began our fun-filled day.  The three of us, my brother's girlfriend, and their dog hiked the Lester Trail.  The leaves were changing color, it was 80 degrees, the sun was shining, and all we had to do was walk and hang out with each other.  Very relaxing.  The hike took about 2 hours and I think we covered about 4 miles.  The trail kind of winds around Seven Bridges road by Hawks Ridge on the east end of Duluth.  Gorgeous views of the city below and the lake.











After the hike, we had lunch a brand new restaurant called Tavern on the Hill right by UMD's campus.  That was delightful.  Good food, good drinks, fantastic patio.  Couldn't have picked a better place.  We started with the cheese curds made from Wisconsin white cheddar.  Then I had the salmon with syrup, peaches, and sweet potato/beet hash.  Delicious.








Then we went on a long motorcycle ride and saw more fall colors.  My guess is that the colors will peak next weekend. 

I ended the day with a long walk on the boardwalk enjoying the warm evening, views of the city, and cherishing the day as I know there won't be another like it for at least 9 months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment