Sunday, September 21, 2014

Wild Breakaway 5K

Yesterday I ran the first annual Breakaway 5k hosted by the Minnesota Wild hockey team. That was really fun. The race started and ended at the Xcel energy center and the course followed Kellogg and wound down to Warner Ave and back up. It was a challenging race because it included a half mile uphill battle in the last mile. What really drew me out to the race was the prize - first place male and female got a pair of hockey tickets basically right on the floor.  I ended up getting third and the prize for third was a signed hockey stick! I have no idea what I'll do with it I guess, but thought it was a fun, unique prize. I was also really impressed with the t-shirts. Mine is an actual women's fitted shirt that I can definitely wear again. Above all, it was gorgeous outside and I was thankful I had a reason to spend so much time outside.



Anatomy of a 5k
I am really passionate about the 5k distance - short enough that you can run a fast pace, but long enough that you can't sprint it (I am incapable of sprinting due to a lack of fast twitch muscles). Here's my strategy for race day.

1. Pick the right music - I like to make a play list that is only as long as my goal time. I start with an upbeat song like One Republic's Love Runs Out. That song always get me going on a fast pace to establish my pace. Then I have more even tempo songs like Like a G6, Sail,
black Widow, for the middle of the race to just keep on pace. Then for the end of the race, I like to have epic music to pump me up for my final kick and motivate me through emotion when I'm tired. My epic songs are Skyfall, 24, and Carmina Burana by Transsiberian Orchestra. Music is a really strong motivator and undoubtedly will shave time off your race.

2. My warm up includes my physical therapy exercises followed by a slow jog to warm up.  Then I do dynamic stretching like planks with leg taps, yoga flow of whatever I feel like, knee raises and butt kicks, push ups. All of this gets my heart rate up which is important for starting the race out and finding a fast comfortable pace right away. Then I do 50 meter "sprints" repeated about 4 - 6 times. Then I line up and kind of jump around and shake out my legs until the race starts. Have to keep that heart rate up, but can't get tired from the warm up. Fine line.

3. During the race I try to keep tabs on the people ahead of me to know where I could place. I start the race at the front of the line to make this easier. I'm mostly just competitive with myself and want to continually improve my time, but it's also nice to place. If I'm on the fringe or I'm on target to place, it's extra motivation to finish strong.

4. After the race I do my physical therapy, drink lots of water, cheer on the other runners, and try not to eat all the free goodies!!! I try to bring my own food for after the race like a 20g protein bar or just wait til I get home and fuel up with eggs, veggies, and fruit. I forgot to mention - pre race food is 1/2 cup complex carb granola like Purely Elizabeth's pumpkin fig gluten free granola and almond milk about 1 1/2 hours before the race. Then 30 mins before the race I have half a banana.

So I guess that's my routine!


No comments:

Post a Comment