Sunday, February 16, 2014

Duluth!

I love Duluth.  Even in the winter (when I'm not living there of course).  I love it not just because it's beautiful and there's so much to do, but it always brings back a flood of happy memories.  That's where I went to college, met my husband, and met some amazing friends.  My brothers live there so my husband and I try and go up a few times during the year to visit and enjoy the city.

We went up on Friday evening and started the festivities at the 7 West Tap House.  My brother is the manager of this bar and grill so we like to stop in, especially when he's working.  They have over 40 beers on tap so that's another reason to visit.  I had the Southern Tier Chocolate Milk Stout which was amazing. 



Next we went to Blackwater in the Greysolon building in downtown.  I just love this bar and we try and go every time we are in town.  They have fantastic, creative cocktails, sushi, and $5 pizzas after 9 pm.  It's a nice, upscale lounge and they had live music on Friday night.  My favorite cocktail there is the 5th Amendment with gin, prosecco, and St. Germain.  They also have a $7 long island ice tea which is such a good deal! Great hangout or date destination.

Saturday we had a loungy morning and watched the olympics.  Then we went skiing at Spirit Mountain.  It was really cold, but we wanted to go anyway.  I love skiing and haven't been able to go yet this year.  I love the speed and the challenge of keeping under control.  It had just snowed a couple inches and snowed while we were there so the snow conditions were PERFECT.  So much powder.  So much fun to jump and carve and whip through the snow.  Spirit has a good mix of runs - short and easy, long, steep, and twisty-turny. 



Saturday night was nice and relaxing.  Home-cooked meal, quality time with family, movie. 

Today after church we had breakfast at Uncle Louie's.   A Duluth original.  A Duluth staple.  A Duluth must-do.  It's a typical diner, but their food is really really good and relatively cheap.  My husband can never decide what to have here because it's all good so today he ordered the eggs benedict which comes with potatoes, a biscuit and gravy, french toast.  Goofball.  I did not feel a need to over indulge so I just had eggs and bacon and a few bites of hashbrowns.  They also have excellent coffee.  They have a small dining area and get BUSY.  I suggest getting their early and dressing warm, you may be waiting in line outside to get in.  Good news is that they have quick service and cycle people out pretty quickly.








We had dinner at the Duluth Grill which is also one of our favorites.  Organic, locally-sourced, creative, delicious food.  I highly recommend this as well.  It used to be an Embers and then the family ditched the franchise and created their own menu.  I am so glad.  It is always busy and clearly more of a hit with the Duluth crowd than Embers.  I had bison and wild rice stuffed peppers, tea, and cinnamon/chai sorbet.  My dinner was really good.  And the sorbet was such a fun surprise.  The main ingredients were roasted squash and coconut milk!!! They serve breakfast all day long so my husband went with the french toast.  Goofball.  We also brought home a piece of chocolate cake...the size of your head. 








It was such a great trip.  I look forward to going back in the summer.

Here are some of my other favorite things about Duluth:
  • Scenic Cafe up the north shore - gourmet French cuisine
  • Vanilla Bean cafe in Two Harbors
  • Betty's Pies just north of Two Harbors
  • Superior Shores Resort
  • View at Enger Tower
  • Canal Park - lakewalk
  • Lighthouse/liftbridge
  • The Suites Hotel (free breakfast)
  • Radisson Hotel ( UMD alumni discount)
  • Tycoons and the Rathskeller in the basement - good drinks and live music
  • Minnesota Wine Exchange - featuring only MN wines
  • Va Bene Italian restaurant
  • Amazing Grace cafe - coffee and breakfast burritos
  • Smokehaus for amazing sandwiches
  • Positively 3rd Street Bakery 
  • Campus!
  • Hartley nature area and Rock Hill at Campus
  • Seven Bridges Drive
Yes, these are just a few of my favorite things.


No comments:

Post a Comment