Saturday, February 1, 2014

Brussels Sprouts

Eat your veggies!

Yeah, these words weren't spoken that often in my house growing up.  Mostly on account of my dad not really liking veggies.  I think the only veggies set before me growing up were corn, carrots, tomatoes, celery, green beans, peas, and lettuce.  Since meeting my husband about 10 years ago, he's been trying valiantly to introduce me to the vast variety of this relatively unknown and unexplored food group.  At his behest, I've enjoyed things like broccoli, zucchini, squash, arugula, kale, spinach, peppers, asparagus, and kohlrabi.  Not only trying these veggies, but playing with different ways to prepare them.  Our newest endeavor was brussels spouts. 

I mixed up olive oil, sea salt, and italian seasoning and basted the brussels spouts.  Then I put them in the oven and roasted them for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees.  I think they were about the perfect texture - nice crispy but not burned outer layers and tender inner layers.  We both decided they were the best brussels sprouts that we'd ever had...but we still didn't like them.  Although my tastes have evolved and matured, I guess I'm still not ready for the bitterness of this vegetable.  I have thoroughly enjoyed exploring the new frontier of veggies, but I think my parents knew what they were doing by sheltering me from this one.  I'll check back in with brussels sprouts in about another 10 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment