Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Welch Village Ski Area

Skiing is one of my favorite activities.  I generally don't like winter or being cold, but this is one thing that I look forward to every January and February.  One of my favorite places to ski is Welch Village.  There are a bunch of slopes that range in difficulty from easy to expert/experienced.  They even have a back section that is only for expert/experienced skiers that boasts a few double black diamond runs due to a steep gradient and narrow run with a tight turn at the bottom.  I have been to Afton Mountain, Spirit Mountain, and Mount Kato and would consider Welch to be the most well-rounded, entertaining, and difficult mountain of these choices.

Yesterday my husband and I went there to enjoy the warmer weather and fresh snow.  The snow was a little bit more wet than I expected which made for an excellent opportunity to practice my control and steering on steep slopes.  My husband ended the day by creating his own slalom and I practiced trying to "color inside the lines" and follow his tracks.  I'm really glad we went.  The snow was more challenging than normal, but it was good practice and it was nice to be fairly warm all day.



My favorite things about Welch:
  • Variety of slopes
  • If you bring your half day lift ticket back within 4 hours, they give you a $5 gift card for next time
  • If you bring your all day ticket back early, you get a $10 gift card for next time
  • It's close to Meisville
Meisville is not home to many people or establishments, but it does boast the famous King's burgers.  King's Place is a little bar in Meisville right outside of Welch that does have AMAZING burgers.  This is the perfect place to end a day on the slopes.  They have several creative and interesting burgers to choose from.  My favorite is the pineapple, BBQ sauce, pepperjack cheese burger.  They also have fantastic waffle fries.  This bar is frequented by skiers and snow mobilers, so there is no need to look fancy there.  Most people come in snow gear and rock the helmet hair.

Much to our dismay, King's Place is closed on Mondays.  Boo.  My husband had the burger craving and once you set your mind on it, you have no choice but to satisfy it and eat a big juicy burger.  We went to House of Coates right off Hwy 52 which also has good burgers.  They are 1/2 pounders at a really good price, so that was a good consolation to King's Place being closed.  I decided to switch it up and get the BBQ ribs which were also good.  The service was amazing; somehow one waitress managed to serve the surprisingly busy establishment. 



I love small towns, they often have at least one random, unique claim to fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment