Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Coconut Curry Chicken Soup



So this is actually my second time making this soup.  The first time I decided to add a little heat and totally underestimated how strong the cayenne was.  It burned my face off.  My husband was so gracious and ate it anyway.  When I said I wanted to make it again, we decided the goal should be to actually taste the flavors this time.

For more background, I have recently jumped on the curry bandwagon.  Studies have shown that curry can help protect against alzheimers as well as aid digestion.  We are brainstorming ways to incorporate it into our regular meals.  Seasoning chicken with curry has proven to be delicious.  And thankfully, the second iteration of this soup was delicious!

Here are the ingredients:
  • carrots
  • celery
  • onion
  • red pepper
  • spinach
  • minced garlic
  • tomatoes
  • chicken broth
  • coconut milk
  • lime juice
  • curry paste
  • curry powder
  • ginger powder
  • salt
  • chicken breasts
  • olive oil

The method is basically the same for each soup I make:

1.  Cut up all the veggies and saute in a bit of olive oil
2.  Pour in all of the seasoning
3.  Add about 3 cups of chicken broth and three cups of coconut milk (it really depends on the quantity of veggies that you cut up and the ratio of liquid to substance you like in your soup)
4.  Add curry paste to thicken
5.  Add about a tablespoon of lime juice
6.  Broil the chicken breasts, cut up in pieces, and add to soup
7.  Boil soup and then simmer until ready to serve

It's really simple (thankfully).  This might be my new favorite soup.  I think next time we'll add mashed butternut squash to thicken it up even more and increase veggie fortification. 


No comments:

Post a Comment