Sunday, March 9, 2014

Twin Cities Auto Show

Each March, various car companies congregate at the Minneapolis Convention Center for the Twin Cities Auto Show.  Car enthusiasts gather and wander, test drive and test sit, listen to women in ridiculously high heels spout out sales pitches for the cars, eat and drink.  This really is not my favorite activity by any means, but my husband is a car guy and loves to check it out each year.  I go along for moral support, to people watch, and always have hopes of going to dinner or happy hour in the City afterward.

We decided to go to the show yesterday.  Opening weekend.  It was a little busy for my taste.  My father-in-law met us there so it was nice to see him.  Unfortunately the show was not very impressive.  There seems to be a lack in ingenuity and creativity in the current car models.  Just rolling forward what they did last year.  This is frowned upon in my profession so I can only imagine it should be frowned upon in the car world.  I'm guessing same old, same old doesn't inspire a ton of new sales.  Anyway, what I do always like about the car show is that they sell beer, they let you do test drives, and you can sit in the cars.  I think the coolest thing this year was that Jeep had set up a rugged terrain course - 45 degree obstacle (the Jeep was only driving on two tires and no you can not drive this yourself, it's a professional driving you through the course), steep hills,  and rail road ties.  In previous years, I've seen Ferraris and Maseratis, but this year there weren't any exotic cars. 

Last year we purchased a Ford Focus and really really like it.  Another practical car that I really like is the similar Mazda 3.  Here is the new Mazda 3 that was at the car show.


The auto show runs through next weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment