Thursday, January 23, 2014

Bread!



After coming back from Arizona, I have a bit of the winter blues.  Time for more baking and comfort food!  My friend was kind enough to send me this bread recipe from an amazing blog.  I'm having fun exploring the blog and getting ideas for new and creative recipes.  Best thing about this bread:  I already have most of these ingredients so I can just whip it up!  

It's super healthy, gluten-free, easy, and tasty!


The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread
Makes 1 loaf
1 cup sunflower seeds
½ cup flax seeds
½ cup hazelnuts or almonds
1 ½ cups rolled oats
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
4 Tbsp. psyllium seed husks (3 Tbsp. if using psyllium husk powder)
1 tsp. fine grain sea salt
1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (for sugar-free diets, use a pinch of stevia)
3 Tbsp. coconut oil or ghee, melted
1 ½ cups water

In a loaf pan, combine all dry ingredients. Whisk maple syrup, oil and water together in a separate bowl. Add mixture to the dry ingredients and combine until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick, adding 1-2 teaspoons water if dough is too thick to stir. Smooth top and let sit at room temperature for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Bake bread for 20 minutes, then remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down, directly on a rack, and bake for another 30-40 minutes (it should sound hollow when tapped). 

Let cool completely before slicing.


Here are the changes I made to the recipe:  


  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  •  I didn't have enough sunflower seeds so I substituted for 1/2 cup amaranth 1/2 cup various nuts
  • I didn't have psyllium seed husks so I just didn't put it in
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • I also decided to heat up a frozen banana and mash it and mix it in
So here's the deal.  I think this is delicious, but it doesn't have much structural integrity.  I'm hoping if I let it cool completely and refrigerate it, that'll help.  I put a little syrup on it and that was good.  Once it's a little more firm I intend to keep the nut idea going and put peanut butter on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment