Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Core Power Yoga

Home


In trying to decide the direction of this post, I have decided that I'm a devotee to the Core Power Yoga Studio, not really yoga in general.  I don't go to yoga for spiritual reasons, meditation, or to prefect my yoga practice, I do yoga as a workout, and to sweat. And Core Power seems to be the perfect studio to fit my needs.

My husband shares my view on this and started doing yoga at Core Power in early 2012.  He suggested I join him so we both ended up buying a groupon for unlimited classes for a month in the fall of 2012.  (They have these deals about every six months so keep your eyes peeled.)  I quickly fell in love with it and have become addicted.  It is my main workout during the winter when it's too cold to run, and it serves as the perfect cross-train activity during the spring and summer when I am running.

Reasons I love Core Power Yoga:

1.  They have an extremely generous gift for newbies to the studio - one free week of unlimited classes to get you hooked.

2.  They have a variety of yoga classes to choose from.  My favorite is sculpt.  It is yoga with weights and cardio mixed in.

3.  The instructors are great - they demonstrate, talk you through the moves step by step, and keep the classes interesting by not following a set-in-stone routine.

4.  There are locations all over the metro and you can visit any one of them.  You are not locked in to a single studio. 

5.  The classes don't focus very much on spirituality.  They are more focused on getting you a good workout, working out your toxins, and calming your mind after a stressful day.

6.  The locker rooms are fully stocked - shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hair dryers, plastic bags for dirty clothes, yoga mats/towels/water bottles (rental fee of $2 each). 

7.  Most of the classes are HOT!!!!!  This makes me extremely happy as I hate the cold weather.

8.  I get an amazing workout.  Look for Jessie at Edina and Woodbury, Stephanie at Minneapolis, Jenilee in Woodbury if you need a real ass-kicker.  The other instructors are really good too.

9.  Each studio offers a little variety of classes.  For example, I think the Highland studio is the only one that offers bike/spin classes.

10.  Some of the studios also have a spa.  My husband and I share one spa membership so we can get a massage or facial once a month.  I had never had either before we got the membership.  Wow is all I can say about that.

11.  They play great music during the classes to keep you motivated and set the mood.  

12.  Most classes are an hour long, but they do offer some 75 minute classes - usually on Saturday mornings. 

13.  They often run promotions and have special challenges in which you can win prizes.

14.  At the end of their teacher training series, the new grads will offer free classes!  Check out the schedule, it notes on there if the class is free.

15.  The studios are open every day and offer a really nice variety of classes and times.  You are sure to find something in your area to fit your needs. 

If you try a class, bring a mat, towel for the mat, hand towel, and water bottle. Bring a change of clothes as you'll be quite sweaty after class.  Remember, they do have mats, towels, and water available at the studio for a small fee as well. Also, plan to arrive at least 15 minutes early.  Classes fill up and sometimes reach capacity so you are turned away.

Don't be intimidated!  I have seen a wide range of body types and ages in class.  Also, I am not flexible nor am I capable of staying on beat, you'll be fine.  The class is also very focused on listening to your body and taking breaks whenever you need too.  The instructors also offer many options for easier modifications to the moves.  

If you haven't tried out Core Power Yoga yet, give it a shot.  Check out their website and schedule at www.corepoweryoga.com

~Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment