Saturday, January 4, 2014

Curling



Curling...let's just say I don't set my DVR to record curling during the olympics.  It's basically just bowling on ice, right? But since we're in Minnesota, there is a portion of the population that has totally fallen in love with this sport.  And now I guess I am one of them!

My department decided to do something different this year for our Christmas party and booked some ice time at the St. Paul Curling Club and had a blast!  We received a quick tutorial of the game from one of the staff and then got right out on the ice.  He also spent a bunch of time one the ice with us giving us tips as we played.

Curling is so much fun because it's more physical than you would expect, it requires a lot of strategy in how hard to throw, the order of your line-up, when to sweep, what to aim for... It challenged me more than I thought it would and I just ended up having a great time.

If you are at all curious, I recommend getting a group together (a game is usually 8 people, 4 on each opposing team) and booking some ice time at the St. Paul Curling Club.  It's about $30 a person.  Instruction is roughly 20 minutes and a game is close to 2 hours long.

Check out SPCC's website at www.stpaulcurlingclub.org.

You can head to SPCC early and check out Nina's Coffee Cafe next door.  After curling, you can enjoy food and drinks at the Happy Gnome which is also right next door. 

1 comment: