Monday, January 13, 2014

Edgerton Bakery





The Edgerton Roll.  <sigh>

Many a Sunday morning has begun with my family gathered around the table enjoying what is probably the best cinnamon roll ever.  This fried cinnamon roll with maple/brown sugar/crack/mystery frosting would absolutely make the list of top 10 donuts in the metro if this bakery was located in the Metro.  You have to travel to Edgerton, MN (Southwest MN) for this scrumptious treat.  My grandparents happen to live in that area so they still supply us with these famous rolls every once in a while.  Those conversations seem to go something like this:

(Dad) Do you guys want some Edgerton Rolls?

(sister) NOOOOOOOO

(brother)  Yep.

(other brother) Yes!

(me) I want one...  ugh.

(Dad) Just one dozen?

(me) No!  Just one

(Dad)  You know they don't sell them that way.  You are getting a dozen.

(me) <sigh>

Upon receipt, I tuck them deep into the deep freeze. They sit in my freezer taunting me. Unfortunately I prefer to eat them frozen anyway so this isn't much of a barrier to giving in and devouring it. That's why they go in the deep freeze.  I have to let it thaw for a couple minutes before I can eat it.  By that time I have snapped out of my hypnosis and can tuck it back into the freezer.    I can only imagine how many miles I'd have to run to burn off those calories. But sometimes I  grab one out of the freezer and allow myself a whiff of the divine scent of fried sugar... and then I get to lick the frosting remnants from my fingers after I place it back in the wrapping... but I digress.

If you plan a road trip to the Edgerton Bakery, and I highly recommend that you do, call ahead to reserve your bounty.  One does not simply walk into the bakery and purchase an Edgerton roll.  These fly off the shelf.  If they even make it to the shelf. 

I honestly have no idea what else this bakery makes.  Dedicating all of the bakery's resources to making "the Edgerton Roll" seems like a solid business plan to me. 

You are welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment