Saturday, January 11, 2014

Cahoots Coffee Shop

I just started drinking coffee this past October; I don't know why.  I guess it took that long to finally get used to the bitterness of coffee.  Now that I know I like it, I have a goal of visiting all of the coffee shops on the City Pages list of top 10 coffeehouses in the Twin Cities.  I was planning a get together with some friends and figured this would be the perfect time to start attacking the top 10 list.   I picked Cahoots because it best suited our geographical needs. 

The five us us (and two babies) met at Cahoots on the corner of Snelling and Selby in St. Paul this morning.  I got there early to vet it out (in case Cahoots was busy or had a weird vibe, I was going to wave the white flag and retreat to the familiar Starbucks across the street).  I tried the house dark roast since that seems to be my favorite at other places.  It was delicious and definitely hit the spot.  Cahoots also has a variety of fun lattes:  egg nog, mocha mint, lavendar white mocha, etc.  They also have Turkish coffee.  I had never seen this on a menu and didn't even know what it was.  Apparently Turkish coffee refers to a method of preparing coffee.  Ground coffee is boiled in a pot and then served in a cup where the grounds are allowed to settle.  It's thick and really packs a punch.  It's served in a small tea cup.  I LOVED it.  I love trying new things, especially when a place has a specialty.  I highly recommend this if you truly enjoy the taste of coffee or if you are just looking for a strong caffeine boost.  And can I just say, somebody needs to make a porter or a stout beer with this.  I can't think of a better marriage of flavors to enjoy. 

 


Cahoots also offers a small menu.  They have baked goods, a hummus plate, and a few other items to enjoy while you sip their delicious coffee.  Two of my friends ordered the quiche and reported it was good and had a little spicy kick.  Another friend had the chili which was also good. 








Overall verdict:  I will absolutely go back.  I loved the unique coffee items on the menu and it was very cute and quaint.  My friends and I ended up spending about 4 hours there and enjoyed our time.  I'm glad we gave this a shot instead of retreating to Starbucks! 




No comments:

Post a Comment