Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Gluten-Free Scene

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a poser when it comes to a gluten-free diet.  I'm not a celiac or diabetic, I have just decided this diet suits my lifestyle, health goals, and genes to allow me to look and feel my best.  With that said, I am always on the look-out for gluten-free or paleo-friendly restaurants and products. 

Northern Celiacs posted a list of all of the gluten-free friendly restaurants in the Metro.  It's a longer list than I expected which is awesome!   Check out the full list from Northern Celiacs at http://northlandceliacs.fastmail.fm/dining.html.  One of the restaurants on the list is the Wild Roast Cafe.  Wild Roast is located in St. Anthony Main neighborhood of Minneapolis.  I had brunch here once and really enjoyed it.  My husband had the creme brulee french toast and I had the veggie strata.  Both were delicious.  They also brew their own coffee. 

Here's my list of additional places/products to try:

Bitter Sweet bakery in Eagan offers a variety of baked goods that are completely gluten-free and completely delicious.  My personal favorite is the chocolate chip banana bread muffin.

Tailor Made Nutrition in Woodbury is also an excellent source for those on a gluten-free diet.  It's basically a mini grocery store with everything you'd need and it's all gluten-free.  The prices are a little high, but they have a fun variety of things you can't find in a normal grocery store. 

Carbones pizza is not listed, but has also recently added a gluten-free crust to their menu.  I've also heard the Dominos gluten-free pizza is worth trying.

True Dough is a small company out of Stillwater, MN that makes gluten-free pizza crust.  I purchased one of their pizza crusts at a farmers market and it was truly delicious.  You can purchase their pizza crusts at Kowalskis and Tailor Made Nutrition throughout the year. They have many flavors to choose from! 

Great Harvest Bread Company in Woodbury bakes fresh loaves of gluten-free bread every Wednesday.  I need to remember to stop in here and get some! 

Target's meals for one section in the frozen foods aisle is extremely legit.  Move over Lean Cuisine and Banquet, new upscale brands with a focus on gluten-free, all natural, no preservatives, high in veggie meals are now on the market.  I've had several of these frozen meals and enjoyed every one.  The "Blakes" brand of chicken pot pies, Garden lites' veggie souffles, and Garden lites' veggie muffins are my favorites.  Target also carries an assortment of gluten-free dry goods.  The "Kind" brand of gluten-free granola is one of my favorites.

 
               Roasted Vegetable Veggie Souffle                         

 Roasted Vegetable Souffle
Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin 
 header - BCC



Sociable Cider Werks - don't forget their hard cider!  Naturally gluten-free and delicious!  Unfortunately their beer isn't gluten-free, but they were very helpful and kind to point me toward Burning Brothers Brewing that brews gluten-free beer.  They are very close to opening their doors and you better believe I'll be there to tell you about it!

I'll continue to be on the lookout for great gluten-free restaurants and products and report back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment