Sunday, July 13, 2014

St. Paul Farmers Market

I will posit that July - September are the best farmers market months.  I can finally get peppers, onions, zucchini, and tomatoes.  Fantastic, all the things I love to cook with most!!

Yesterday I went to the St. Paul farmers market which is located in Lowertown by Mears Park.  This market is huge, but has a different vibe than the Mill City farmers market.  There aren't any food trucks at the St. Paul one (or not at 6:30 am anyway) and they don't have the variety of arts and crafts.  It's mostly a ton of produce.  I ended up with onions, zucchini, asparagus, rhubarb, and green peppers.  I was also quite tempted by the bourbon maple syrup.  I tried a sample of that and it was fantastic.  It would be perfect on sausage, a pork chop glaze... man I should have just gotten it.



Here's the plan:

Zucchini - Some of the zucchini will be cut up for salads and the rest will be used for paleo zucchini bread.

Green peppers - Some of them will be cut up for salads and the rest will be used for shish kabobs or just sauteed for a tasty side dish.

Onions - These are destined for the grill for sure.  Just rub with olive oil and sprinkle some sea salt on top.



Asparagus - Also destined for the grill.  I like to drizzle olive oil and sprinkle sea salt on top.



Rhubarb - My husband really likes my family's recipe for rhubarb cake.  My brother is coming next weekend so I'll bake that up next Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment