Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Truman Days

I grew up in the very small town of Truman, MN.  Each summer on the last weekend in July, the town holds a celebration called Truman Days.  Each year, my siblings and I as well as our significant others and friends descend upon my parents' house and engage in Truman Days activities and shenanigans. 

Motorcycle Ride In
This year Truman Days commenced with the motorcycle ride in.  My husband, brother, and my brother's girlfriend rode their motorcycles into town.   When they got into town, we went on a motorcycle ride through the countryside and had a drink at the Channel Inn in Fairmont, a small bar and grill right on the lake.  My brother-in-law and his friend rode into town on their motorcycles a few hours later.


Softball
I would say the men's softball tournament is kind of the main event that brings everyone home each year for Truman Days.  About 16 teams enter the tournament which is played throughout the entire weekend.  Softball games kind of set the schedule for the rest of the weekend.  My brothers and their friends form a team each year so we spend time at the softball field cheering them on.  This year they had an odd schedule and didn't play until Saturday evening at 9 and then played again at 8 in the morning on Sunday.  That was not idea, but still fun. 


5K Race
The Truman Days 5K is my biggest commitment of the weekend.  I started this race in 2007 and it has been going strong ever since!  My family and other volunteers have been so wonderful to help me plan, organize, and facilitate the race.  We try and get as much done in advance, but Friday is usually quite busy with purchasing last minute supplies, marking the course, stuffing bags with t-shirts and bibs for those that pre-registered, and packing up the truck with all of the supplies.  On Saturday morning I get up super early and set up the finish line, set up the registration area, and handle race day registration.  Then we are bussed to the start line and the race commences.  We had 83 runners this year and everyone had a great time.  We provided chocolate milk, water, pretzels, almonds, and apple sauce at the finish, took pictures of each person finishing, handed out medals to each age group winner, and did a prize drawing.  It's always a little stressful to pull everything together and gamble with the weather, but so rewarding to see everyone enjoying the event. I then manage a facebook page "Truman Days 5K" where I post results and pictures of the event.



Yard Games
As people trickle in on Friday night as well as after the 5K and before softball, everyone just hangs out and plays yard games.  We have a keg of beer and a nice deck and lawn so hanging out outside on a nice day is a highlight of the weekend in and of itself.  We had really nice weather on Saturday and enjoyed playing bean bag toss and fris-beer.  I was so relaxed and really enjoyed the opportunity to hang out with family and friends.  Another benefit of my parents' house is that it is located in the center of town.  One block from the pool, one block from the race finish line, one block from the park, two blocks from the street dance,  four blocks from the softball field, and right on the parade route.  A bunch of people stop by to hang out at our house.  There are six years between me (the oldest) and my brother (the youngest) so we collectively know a bunch of people.  It's so fun to catch up with everyone; a lot of these people I only see once a year. 

Parade
Truman is serious about its parade.  I am pretty sure there are more people in the parade than people that live in the city.  It generally lasts two hours (which is entirely too long), but parts of it are entertaining.  We always have a few drum lines and bands, all of the local businesses, a farmer herding his ducks (what!?).  Since it goes right by our house we always watch at least most of it. 

In general, it was another wonderful Truman Days.  Quality time with family; quality time with friends; quality time with the sun.  I love that Truman alum make Truman Days a priority each year.  It's such a huge homecoming event that is undoubtedly more fun as more people participate.  I don't think I could live in a small town again, but on Truman Days weekend, I truly appreciate and embrace the slower pace, simplicity, and novelty of knowing everybody in town.  I want to thank my parents again for hosting about 20 people at their house, providing food, and letting us just do whatever and have an amazing time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment